Thursday 19 November 2009

Payback time

Storm time

Thursday 19th November comments:
It’s the first time I’ve written the blog with a troubled mind. This time it’s not about the seabirds or the Seals, it’s about me and my team. This autumn I’ve been blasé about the weather, as we’ve had the occasional storm, but it’s blown through within a matter of days. But not this time, it's payback time.

Mother Nature has coming calling and don’t we know it. The team were last on the mainland on Wednesday – last Wednesday, now some eight days ago. I can handle the lack of fresh milk or bread and even forgive the team for eating all the biscuits, but things are looking bleak.

The radio crackled in the front room…

Forties, Cromarty, Forth, Tyne, Dogger: South or southwest 6 to gale 8, perhaps severe gale 9 later. Rough or very rough. Occasional rain. Moderate or good, occasionally poor.

That isn’t good. The stormy weather has been with us for some time, but surely it’s going to reside to allow vital supplies and even grab an opportunity to check on the Grey Seals? No, no its not. A quick check of the internet reveals a depressing sight – gales until Tuesday at the earliest. I can’t bring myself to tell the team and my stomach is rumbling, I’m hungry…

2 comments:

kezia said...

Oh David you poor things I was wondering how you were , I cant do anything but say I AM thinking of you out there , do hope you can get supplies somehow , has this happened before that you have been marooned this long ??? wonder how all the seal pups are fairing must be awful for them being bought in to the world at this time . Take care all hope to hear good news soon love and lots of hugs keep warm xxx

Jan said...

you poor things, I wish I could send you some nice stuff to keep you full and happy.